Pages

October 20, 2010

Teenagers Do NOT = Help

I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me...."Oh, you have a teenager? She must be loads of help!" I only stand there and try not to laugh hysterically in their face. Just because there is someone above the age of preschooler does not mean they are capable, willing or able to help. When my son was born my oldest daughter was 10 years old. And yes, she was helpful. She was also still cleaning her room without me asking, too. All that ended when she turned 12. I don't know what happened, maybe it was her starting her period, maybe it was her being influenced by her friends, or maybe evil aliens came down, kidnapped my sweet little girl and replaced her with the demon teenager that resides here now. Who knows!! One thing I do know is this......I am not alone. Every parent I talk to that has a teenager says the same thing...."Oh my gawd! My kid is the same way!! I want to strangle him/her" Boys are no different than girls, either. So, Moms of all boys, don't get your hopes up. :D heheheee!!

Don't get me wrong, Raven is really helpful at times, but, I have to talk to her like she's 5 and write everything out for her to actually see/read and check off as she goes. And the entire time all I hear is "UGHH!!! Mumble, mumble, mumble. Moan and groan!!!" -insertstompinghere- It's a constant battle. Babysitting? Forget it!! She will babysit, but everything has to be done for her a head of time and Lo has to be sleeping when we leave. Last night she watched both kids for an hour and I swear I will never hear the end of it..."See, Mom?! I can babysit Lex without killing him! You owe me a new piercing" -_-  And on and on. So she does help, but sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth. I really can't complain though. She does well in school, she's not doing drugs or drinking, she only mouths off occasionally and she still acts like she loves us.....sometimes.

So if you're sitting there staring at your darling little child and thinking to yourself..."HAH! She's nuts. My kid will never be like that. Ever!" I laugh and I laugh and I laugh. Don't take it personally.


2 thoughts:

The Animated Woman said...

Oh Nina, I SO know what you're talking about. Tonight I got the stomping, the throwing of the dishcloth, the slamming of the door in my face. I didn't lose it and I'm not taking it personally. But it does make me weary. Very, very weary.

I think I'll call my own mom and apologize again.

We'll make it!

* The MOM said...

HAHAHAHAHAAA!!! I refuse to say "sorry" to my Mother. She deserved it. LOL!! My teenager has her good weeks and her very bad week. ((sigh)) It doesn't get any better when they're gone either. They call to yell at us, apparently. HAHAHAAA!!