Pages

May 31, 2011

There's This Teenager.....

And her name is Raven. She's 15 years old and she has Alopecia. Her hair is falling out. As of right now it's just certain parts of her head, but I'm thinking the doctors are thinking that it's just a matter of time before it's all gone. They haven't said as much, but I can see it in their eyes. Her last derm appointment her doctor said that she wanted her to go to a special camp for children with skin disorders. Mostly the children have Alopecia. A part of me is relieved that she will be able to be somewhere for a week and not have to worry about hiding her hair, or lack there of. Right now the bald spots are in places where she's able to hide it. Her doctors want her to try steroid shots in her scalp to try and trick the follicles into waking up. So far the topical solution she's been using isn't working. :( It started happening when she was 10. Just a few small spot on her head, then the hair grew back and then last November is when it really started falling out. I'm lucky that she's such a strong young woman. She's handling this better than I would have if this had happened to me when I was a teenager. I'm hoping that she will start the scalp treatments soon. The longer we wait the less likely it is that the hair will grow back. We've already been looking into wigs for her just in case. I'm holding out hope that it won't come to that. :) So now we just wait and hope for the best.

0 thoughts: